- Getting Started
- Free Resources
- Module 01 - Church Check-up
- Module 02 - Greening worship
- Module 03 - Theology and Environment
- Module 04 - Children and Creation Care
- Module 05 - Young People and Environmental issues
- Module 06 - Resources for small groups
- Module 07 - Greening the church building
- Module 08 - Greening church spending
- Module 09 - Churchyard conservation
- Module 10 - Lifestyle Issues
- Module 11 - Community Matters
- Module 12 - Global neighbours
- Module 13 - Manage your carbon footprint
- Local groups
- Our Story
Step 3 - Get the Award
Step 3 - Get the Award
Eco-Congregation has an Award scheme designed to:
- affirm the good environmental work of churches
- witness to the wider world that churches care for God’s creation
The Award is given to churches that have:
- undertaken an environmental check-up or audit
- undertaken activities or initiatives in each of the following three areas:
- 'spiritual': worship and teaching — linking environmental issues with the Christian faith e.g. through services, children's work or an adult homegroup
- practical: practising what is preached e.g. an energy, churchyard or recycling project
- mission: reaching out — worked with or through their local community on environmental issues e.g. a litter pick, project with a school or other community group, gaining positive publicity.
An Eco-congregation Award application form is sent to all churches that order resource modules, or you can downloaded it below.
Churches don’t need to use Eco-congregation resources to gain the Award, but should have expressed their interest by completing the Resources order form.
The Award assessment is a visit to your church by two local people: usually one person who understands the church context in which the work has been undertaken, and one person who is more of an environmental expert, who may or may not have a church background. They will hear your story, prompted by any evidence that you have accumulated (photographs, service sheets, articles etc).
The Eco-congregation Award is a wooden plaque which you can display prominently in the church.
Re-applying keeps you on your toes
The Award is given for 2-3 years, and churches need to reapply after this time. This is to encourage churches to go deeper in weaving care for creation into the life of the church.
A good way to start again is to go through the church check-up. Award assessors will also have provided some suggestions as to the way forward.
The Application process for subsequent Awards is just the same as for the first Award. Only work completed after the previous Award will be taken into consideration when being assessed again.
To apply download the application form below. When completed please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.